Saturday, April 27, 2013

Taste and See...


“Taste and see that the Lord is good.”

During this time of year, we begin to wind down in our work, plan family vacations, and begin losing ourselves in dreams of white sand beaches between naps. It’s been a long year of struggle and accomplishment, with (unending) snow covering the ground, our families are busy, and we just...need...rest.

So often, I find myself rushing to get through another month, another season that I forget to stop, slow down, and follow in the footsteps of God. I become so captive to my schedule that I begin to look for escape.

And yet God calls me to something different.

He calls me to follow him to green pastures, to slow moving rivers, to be silent and still. Why? Is God so naive to think that my schedule will obey Him? We’ve got kids, obligations, employment, when do those demands ever slow down?

I’m reminded of my son Joshua during these seasons. In the few minutes before bedtime, I read to him. My job as dad is to read the story! Finish the book! Tuck him in, all in the span of a few short moments. “Mission accomplished!” I exclaim and move to the next event.

During these times, Joshua is often the whisper of God to me - as a five year old, he asks questions, he lives in the moment, he savors the breath of life that God has given him, and he slows down.

So during this season of winding down, when it feels like you are running on fumes and desperate to escape reality, remember to slow down. Remember what it’s like to listen. Remember what it’s like to live with meaning. And then taste and see that God is indeed very, very good.

Blessings on your weekend,

Shaun Smith

No comments: