Saturday, October 5, 2013

The End



It was Spring 2011.  I was browsing through reading plans on my phone's Bible app when I noticed something called 'Essential 100.'  This is right from the plan's description:  "The Essential 100 Challenge (E100) helps you get an overview of the Bible...without getting bogged down.  The Plan guides you through 50 Old Testament passages and 50 New Testament passages - The Essential 100 - so you can see the big picture of God's Word, and form a daily Bible reading habit in the process."
So even though E100 was created as a personal reading plan, I wondered what might happen if we used it to form our weekend teaching schedule.  What if we taught all 100 passages over 25 months?  I floated the idea to staff leaders and Elders and after much prayer and consideration, the idea seemed good to the Spirit and to us, so we took the plunge. 
What a ride it's been!  Studying the full width and breadth of Bible has had a profound impact on me and many others, and it's shaped the culture of our church.  I can't believe it's over.  The journey we began on September 10/11, 2011 ends this weekend with a message from the last chapter of the Bible - Revelation 22.
I hope you'll be with us on Saturday or Sunday as we wrap it up.  It doesn't matter how much of the series you've participated in.  Unlike a popular television show that broadcast its series finale last Sunday, what you'll experience this weekend doesn't depend on being current.  It's quite okay to jump in for the finale, because as we come to the end of God's story I'm confident it will all make sense and you'll be able find your place in it.
I don't think I've ever looked forward to a weekend of teaching this much.  If you're willing, would you pray for me as I prepare?  And pray that God would be glorified as we bring this series to a close and get ready for Thanksgiving and 50th Anniversary celebrations.
Greg

No comments: