Friday, August 10, 2012


Hey Church Family,

I grew up in a tradition in which spontaneous, eloquent, and passion-filled prayers were an indicator that you were really doing well as a Christian. I would hear people comment about someone’s public prayer with accolades and praise for the beauty and obvious sincerity of their petition to God. Other traditions that used written prayers were, at times, seen as lacking some sort of spiritual sensitivity that required them to prepare a speech instead of just sharing their hearts with God.

Over the last few years, I have been discovering the richness and depth of also praying prayers that others have penned in different times, places, and situations. These can include the prayers found in scripture as well as many other sources. There are so many times that I don’t have the words to express my heart to God. Some of these prayers that I read give voice to the expression of my soul.

I have a prayer to share with you. It was written by St. Ignatius of Loyola in the 1500’s. Maybe you can pray this with me:

Take, O Lord, and receive my entire liberty, my memory, my understanding and my whole will. All that I am and all that I possess You have given me: I surrender it all to You to be disposed of according to Your will. Give me only Your love and Your grace; with these I will be rich enough, and will desire nothing more.
Amen.

Peace,
Wade

No comments: