Friday, November 5, 2010

How do I know that my faith is real?

James 1:2 says ..."whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything." NLT

One of the first marks of Real Faith is being comfortable in discomfort. We've been through many trials, some of the major ones include health and relationships and I know those will continue. How I handle them will determine how real my faith is. James reminds me that my faith is always refined and grows stronger in the soil of adversity. How will I choose to face these trials?

Do I try to escape, avoid or deny? Do I always want an explanation - why is this happening to me? Do I try to solve everything myself - finding a quick fix, relying on money, stuff & status to get me through?
                                    or
Do I persevere  - when I don't know what the end results will be? Do I ask God for wisdom and strength? God promises to give it...

But then do I really trust He will answer? ..."a doubtful mind is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. People like that should not expect to receive anything from the Lord." James 1:6,7 NLT

God does not promise that my life here on earth will be easy and smooth. I know that and have experienced many bumps in the road, but if I allow those bumps to help me to mature in my faith, to refine me in my walk with Jesus instead of complaining about them and trying to fix the problem myself.... that's when I know my faith is becoming more real.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trials...always has been such an ugly word for me. After the sermon this weekend I can see it as an opportunity for God's blessings in my life. Not created by Him to show His love for me but happenings in life that He is able to love me through. One more step in my faith journey with Him.