Saturday, November 9, 2013

A Life Following Christ...



A life following after Christ can be hard. As we’ve been studying Matthew, I’ve been struck by the call of Jesus to take up our cross, deny ourselves, and follow after Him (Matthew 16:24). Following after Christ is not supposed to be easy. There are seasons where we will be called to follow in ways that we may not like; to take up the cross is a heavy burden. Yet Jesus also promises in Matthew 11:28-30 what seems to be the opposite:
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
While this seems to be a contradiction, I believe that it is in the trying times that we truly understand that Christ’s yoke is easy and burden is light. This has been my experience as I’ve been placed in situations where I could be overwhelmed.
These days, taking up my cross means to forgive those that don’t necessarily deserve it. I’ve found that giving grace and surrendering my frustrations and burdens to the Lord has been so freeing. In following Christ, I’ve been led to be challenged, yet I’ve also been blessed with a supernatural peace and patience.
I pray the same for you this week!
God bless,
Eric Hochhalter

No comments: